Sunday, September 25, 2011

Off the Grid - Food Truck Experience

I had my first food truck experience Friday night at the Off the Grid event in San Francisco.  It was packed with people, food trucks, food & drink vendors and a band.  I absolutely loved it and had a great time.

What's interesting to me is that food trucks aren't a new phenomenon.  I've seen them at construction sites selling breakfast burritos, hot dogs, tacos -- and then, there's the ice cream truck that used to come around our neighborhood.  It's just the aspect that the food is now gourmet.

There was gourmet food galore, and I wanted to try it all.  I limited myself to just the following:
  • Mac 'n Cheese Spring Rolls  [interesting concept; really rich]
  • Chairman Bao's Baked Bun w/Tender Pork Belly and Pickled Daikon  [I'm not a huge fan of daikon, but the flavors melded so well together]
  • Chairman Bao's Steamed Bun w/Braised Pork with Savoy Cabbage and Preserved Mustard Seeds  [so delicious, with again, the flavors melding perfectly together -- there's a reason Chairman Bao's food truck had one of the longest lines]
  • Cupskates' Gingerbread w/Lemon Frosting Cupcake
  • Cupskates' Salted Caramel Cupcake

 
Mac n' Cheese Spring Rolls w/Cheese Fondue

Chairman Bao's Steamed Bun: Braised Pork w/Savoy Cabbage and Preserved Mustard Seeds
Chairman Bao's Baked Bun: Tender Pork Belly and Pickled Daikon
In short, it was an absolutely delicious meal that beats many of my fine dining experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment