Sunday, July 13, 2014

Recipe: Bouchon Bakery's Devil's Food Cake


Blog contributor the grandcruman surprised me one day and gave me Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery book.  So sweet!  (Maybe it was a hint that he wants me to bake more!)

Wanting cake, I made my first recipe out of the book -- the Devil's Food Cake on p.116.  As you can see, I used mini bundt pans (aren't they cute?!).

It was pretty good, but here are some thoughts:

  • The recipe says that it should take about 10 minutes to bake.  It took more like 18 min.  At 10 min, it was nowhere near being done.  I checked on it every 2 min, so beware of the timing.
  • I was shocked by how little batter it produced.  I was able to make 4 mini bundt cakes plus 1.5 cupcakes.
  • Originally, I had planned to make the Palet d'Or which is the recipe right next to this one in the book and uses the Devil's Food Cake along with chocolate mousse and a chocolate glaze.  At some point, I'll make the cake -- I just didn't have time to run out and get silver sheet gelatin.  (I didn't even know silver sheet gelatin existed.)
  • The cake itself is ok.  It's a good consistency and has pretty good chocolate flavor, but it NEEDS the chocolate ganache that I drizzled over it -- as well as ice cream which we added.  I think the Ina Garten chocolate cake recipe actually tastes better on its own.  Sorry TK!
More baking to come from this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment