Saturday, September 1, 2012

Recipe: Hearts of Palm Dip


I love hearts of palm.  Give me a salad with hearts of palm in it, and I'm extra happy.  It's a special ingredient to me since I don't see it often.  I love the texture and flavor it adds -- crunchiness and a unique subtle flavor that I can only compare to artichokes.

What is it?  It's a vegetable harvested from the inner core and growing bud of certain palm trees.  You can find them in the canned vegetable aisle in the grocery store next to the artichokes.

I just made a dip that is simple, relatively healthy and is perfect as a snack with pita chips.  The recipe is from Food & Wine Magazine's March 2012 issue (p.80).  All that's in the dip are hearts of palm, extra-virgin olive oil, a garlic clove, and salt & pepper.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/hearts-of-palm-dip

No comments:

Post a Comment