Saturday, September 15, 2012

Recipe: Fresh Corn Grits with Shrimp



I really liked this dish by Top Chef Season 5 contestant Jeff McInnis.  It was featured in the Top Chef Challenge section (it's the market basket challenge) in the Aug 2012 issue of Food and Wine Magazine (p. 111-112).  I think the pecan butter makes the dish ~ it gives it a nice nutty subtle flavor.

Healthy and really easy.

Here are some tips:
  • Because we made this during a weeknight and wanted to speed up the process, we didn't make the grits from scratch but used instant grits.
  • I also didn't want to wear out our mini food-processor, so didn't actually didn't process the pecans and canola oil for 2 minutes until smooth.  Instead, I used a small handful of pecans and a tiny splash of canola oil and processed it for 20 seconds.
  • For the shrimp saute, I used 2 tablespoons of butter instead of 6.
  • We added red pepper flakes for a little heat.
  • I used about 3/4 cup of lager.  I didn't want it soupy like it looks in the photo on p. 112.

No comments:

Post a Comment