Thursday, April 26, 2012

Restaurant: Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck

Interior of the Restaurant
Appetizer
Crispy Maine Lobster & Shrimp Eggrolls
with Honey Ten Spice Sauce

Dessert
Sour Cream Apple Crumble
with 50 Bean Ice Cream

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved Reunion Tower -- the lollipop looking building that stands out on the Dallas skyline.  Yes, it was maybe "cheesy" and touristy back in the day, and yes, the floor of the restaurant rotates (and still rotates) -- but it is cheesy no more.  I think the restaurant at the top, Five Sixty by Wolfgang Puck, is one of the better restaurants in Dallas.  We've been twice, and it's been memorable both times. 

Not only is the place modern/contemporary and hip, the food and service were spot on too.  I love the environment from the sleek bars to the wine wall to the small details like their Chilewich modern placemats and their chopsticks which are tapered at both ends.

Cocktail
The restaurant is revamping their cocktail list, but the server suggested one that I'm actually craving right now.  It was served in a martini glass and was the perfect, not-too-sweet, fresh cocktail for a spring day.  Ingredients:  vodka, elderflower liqueur, lychee juice, lime juice.  I need to get some lychee juice from the Asian grocery store so I can try making it at home -- it was that good.

Wine
Their wine prices are pretty reasonable, and they give a generous pour that looks more than the typical 6 oz you get at most restaurants.

Appetizer
We had the Crispy Maine Lobster & Shrimp Spring Rolls with a Honey Ten-Spice Sauce.  It was a very lovely and pretty (see photo above) dish, but I probably wouldn't order it again because I've had Chinese Dim Sum that tastes just like it but is less than a 1/3 of the cost.  The sauce had a wonderful sweet, salty and spicy balance.

Entree
I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by the service of our entrees.  Three people came to our table to finish off our entrees by pouring sauces on the plates and then they were poof -- gone.  Their service was seamless.

I had the Steamed Wild King Salmon "Hong Kong Style" with Bok Choy, Ginger and Soy, and it's one of the best seafood dishes I've ever eaten.  The salmon was cooked perfectly and practically melted in my mouth -- it tasted like it was cooked sous-vide in fat when, in fact, it was steamed.  I was so enraptured by the dish that I started eating it right away and didn't take a photo of it.  I guess that means I need to go back!  It inspired me to look for fish recipes cooked "Hong Kong Style" so maybe I'll try one of these soon:
http://projects.eveningedge.com/recipes/hong-kong-style-fish/
http://whattocooktoday.com/hong-kong-style-steamed-fish.html

Dessert
I was full but still wanted dessert.  Might as well go all out!  We ordered their Sour Cream Apple Crumble with 50 [Vanilla] Bean Ice Cream.  Imagine the most flavorful and creamy vanilla ice cream you've ever tasted, and the crumble itself had big chunks of Fuji apple in it with a nice sweet crumble that balanced the tartness of the apple and the sour cream.  It was a pretty large portion; we ate every bite.

I think I may be celebrating my next birthday here with friends. . . too bad my birthday is 9 months away.
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3917

No comments:

Post a Comment