Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chefs Weigh In: The California Foie Gras Ban


See what Christopher Kostow, Cindy Pawlcyn, Dean Fearing, Thomas Keller, Michael Chiarello, Christopher Cosentino and Russell Jackson are saying about the foie gras ban in California starting in July:  Chefs Weigh In:  The California Foie Gras Ban at Eater.com

Here are my favorite quotes from the article:

Dean Fearing:  "I serve a lot of foie gras in Texas. I have a lot of customers that love foie gras. It's been around for you know 1,000 years since the Egyptians. It's amazing we all the sudden are doing this. I understand, I do. Animal rights, all of that. We might as well stop eating meat all together. I tell ya, if anyone's been to a slaughter house they wouldn't like that. I don't know why they're battling foie.  Production of chickens would make you throw up.  Seeing a slaughterhouse with pigs and cattle will make you throw up too. Pork is now bigger than ever, and pork has a brain. Pigs have brains. It's like wow. I think in my later years I'll be a vegetarian."

Michael Chiarello:  "If we're going to do something healthful for American lets do something that's going to change the lives of millions and millions of Americans and our children. Foie gras is a 1000th of 1 percent of consumption of anyone that consumes anything in America. So if you're going to pick something? This is a stupid place to start.  It's a decision based on agronomics not intelligence.  If we took the amount of attention and money put to this, and applied it to something more significant we'd make a gigantic impact to help Americans."

Casey Thompson:  "It sucks. You can quote me. How about this. Here's a $50 salad. Enjoy your foie gras."

No comments:

Post a Comment