Sunday, January 29, 2012

Restaurant: Grimaldi's Coal Brick-Oven Pizzeria



I am in love with Grimaldi's pizza. 

There are a lot of specialty pizza places in Dallas -- Coal Vines, Picasso's, Fireside Pies, to name a few, and they're all fine.  Basic.  Nothing to write home about.  (At least to me.  I know others would argue otherwise.)  So, I wasn't planning to be blown away by the pizza at Grimaldi's when we met friends for dinner there on Friday.  Grimaldi's has been around in Dallas for a while, but I'd just never been.

The pizza was exceptional.  The crust was thin but not too thin;  chewy but just the right amount of chewiness.  And the ingredients were fresh, fresh, fresh.  I've not tasted tomato sauce and mozzarella on a pizza that was that good, ever.

I'd gone to the restaurant's website beforehand, and kind of chuckled at the fact that they go to such great lengths to make sure the composition of the water is similar to that in Brooklyn (even hiring a chemist to analyze and recreate the mineral content via a New York water pumping system) so that the pizza dough's integrity is maintained.  Apparently, the secret to true New York style pizza is the water.  They also have a special signature brick oven and use special coals (anthracite) from Pennsylvania.

I'm a believer that it makes 'the Grimaldi's difference.'

I'll be going back there soon since I just finished the leftover pizza today.

http://www.grimaldispizzeria.com/pizza

1 comment:

  1. OK, I second everything thetaster said. I ate at Grimaldi's for the first time LAST weekend, and we had this cute little waiter who was too young to drink but sure as HECK knew his pizza.

    My friend had, at the waiter's recommendation, the white pizza, with sun dried tomatoes, meatballs, and basil. I had a couple bites and Oh. My. Gosh. I'm SO getting that next time! Just saying!

    ReplyDelete