Sunday, November 27, 2011

Le Poulet du Ad Hoc . . . and Snickers Cake

This evening, we made our first recipe out of Thomas Keller's ad hoc at home cookbook -- and it was amazing!!!

A note 'To the Woman Who Ate Everything' blog contributor:  You were absolutely right.  The Whole Roasted Chicken on a Bed of Root Vegetables recipe was easy and absolutely delicious.  There is no reason for us to buy rotisserie chicken ever again!  Next on my list is the ad hoc chicken potpie recipe that you've been talking about for at least a year.

I have to admit that I was a bit wary about making the recipe, not having roasted a chicken before and thinking it might be dry, but no, it was JUICY, and the roast vegetables were fabulous.  We had the chicken & vegetables along with mac & cheese a la the America's Test Kitchen classic recipe.

For dessert, it was Snickers Cake which took literally 3 hours to make (I started the cake yesterday).  I would make the cake part of the recipe again, but not the buttercream -- like one of the reviewers on epicurious noted, it was TOO buttery.  I added 6 more oz of chocolate just to tone down the buttery texture and flavor.  I mean, I love butter, but this buttercream frosting just wasn't as great as other buttercream frostings I've had (plus, it took a long time to make).
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Snickers-Cake-2750


Whole Roasted Chicken on a Bed of Root Vegetables

Snickers Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment