Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Good Eats in Oakland

To 'the woman who ate everything' blog contributor and my friend . . .  thank you for your wonderful company and for taking me to such amazing places to eat in Oakland.  I'm posting this just so I remember the delicious food we had -- you're so lucky to have these great independent restaurants nearby.

Plum
"Our interpretation of California cuisine"
http://www.plumoakland.com/

How cool it was to sit and watch the chefs cook & plate all the dishes made with fresh, local ingredients.  I felt like I was sitting at someone's kitchen counter.
  • Eggplant - farro, summer beans, sungold, pinenut, padron vinaigrette
  • Smoked Farm Egg - quinoa, summer squash shishito, blossom
I should've taken a menu because I can't remember the descriptors of the other items we had, and the menu online has changed already.
  • Chickpea Fries
  • Pork Belly & Squid
  • Fudge Cake - chocolate fudge cake w/olive oil ice cream, figs, pistachio, chocolate crisps
  • Bourbon Drink (that gave me a headache this morning, by the way, probably because I don't usually drink bourbon) - bourbon, lime juice, ginger beer, simple syrup, bitters, nice orange peel and herb garnish

Hawker Fare
"Southeast Asian street food, predominately it’s a rice bowl shop.  The cuisine is humble, innovative and personal while still paying homage to classics and tradition utilizing local, sustainable, and organic ingredients as much as we can.  We are cooking it up with passion with being honest in our approach."
http://www.hawkerfare.com/menu/
  • Our "Kao Mun Gai" - a classic, poached chicken served with salted mung bean sauce and fresh cucumber
  • 24hr Pork Belly - "tom khem" style with our own five spice, sweet soy and preserved vegetable mustard (+ added a fried egg to mine)
I'll have to come back one day to try the Hawker Sundae (soft serve with salted palm sugar caramel with candied red beans and puffed rice, lime whip) when the soft serve machine is working.  It sounds amazing.  PLEASE post a photo of it the next time you order it. 

I can't wait to see what else is in store for us in this foodie capital of the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment