Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Recipe: Garden Salad Tacos

A close-up of the colorful
vegetable-and-herb salad
We used wheat tortillas and
added some fajita steak and avocado
Food and Wine Magazine, June 2014, p. 129
5 stars!

I've not eaten at Chef Alice Waters' restaurant Chez Panisse in Berkeley, CA, but from what I've heard and read about her, this dish is a great example of her philosophy -- fresh, healthy (and "clean") food that tastes amazing.

When I read the ingredient list and recipe, my thought was, "How good could this be?  Sounds too simple and a little blah.  Well, we need to eat healthy and need a quick recipe for a weekday dinner, so let's try this out."

My expectations were surpassed by tenfold.  This is a VERY flavorful dish with lots of texture/crunch -- plus, it's extremely healthy!

Main ingredients include:  tortillas, Monterey Jack cheese, mixed baby greens, fennel, carrot, radishes, cilantro

Ingredients for the dressing:  extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, ground cumin and Kosher salt

Perhaps I should invest in an Alice Waters cookbook. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment