Saturday, November 16, 2013

Recipe: Jenga Ribs


Jenga ribs = ribs that are stacked like when you play the game jenga.  As you can see from the photo, mine were just ribs.  I didn't stack them.

This recipe is from Bon Appetit magazine's February 2013 issue (p.18).  It's one of those where people write in and ask Bon Appetit to see if they can get the recipe of a menu item from the restaurant.  I'm still waiting to see if the magazine will obtain and publish the recipe that I requested -- Truluck's Carrot Cake (see my haiku in its honor).

Here was the request in the magazine:  "Dear Bon Appetit, on a trip to Wyoming, we had the best ribs at Nostalgia Bistro in the little down of Dubois.  Find me this recipe and I'm yours forever."

Funny.

The recipe is good and very easy -- the ribs were fall off the bone tender, but it smelled and tasted like Chinese 5 spice?!  Five-spice powder generally has the following mix of ingredients:  star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichaun pepper, fennel seeds . . . but this recipe called for paprika, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, onion powder, cinnamon and coriander.

I prefer other rib recipes that we've made in the past, so probably won't make this again.  But again, this is a great recipe if you think you'd like the flavor of  the ingredients I mentioned above.


No comments:

Post a Comment