It was overall pretty good, but I would make the following changes next time:
- Rather than poaching the apples in apple cider, I prefer this recipe from Bon Appetit that poaches the apples in red wine, orange juice, cinnamon, etc.
- Insider of the cider syrup, make some homemade caramel to drizzle over the dessert.
- If you do want to use the cider syrup, make it yourself! (Don't buy a bottle of boiled apple cider!) Take about 1 cup of apple cider, boil it, and take it off the heat when it becomes syrupy -- that's it! All it is = reduced apple cider.
- Add more sugar to the walnut mixture to sweeten it a tad bit.
- Double the amount of rum cream ingredients as noted below.
By the way, the rum cream is amazing. I'm going to start making it to accompany other desserts.
Beat the following ingredients using an electric mixer until you get soft peaks:
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract