Monday, June 24, 2013

Guest Post: Summer Corn & Asparagus Salad

Thanks for letting me contribute to the Foodie Friends Test Kitchen!

A couple of months ago I found a beautiful photo of "corn and asparagus salad" on Pinterest. Normally I check the links to make sure I can actually see the recipe or content. This time, I was mesmerized by the photo and pinned without caution.  It went on to my "Summer Eats" board.

Fast forward two months and The Guy (my hubby) came home from the grocery store this weekend with corn and asparagus. Bingo! Back on Pinterest I went in a hurry, looking for the recipe behind the amazing photo. (Insert wha wha wha sound) No link could be found.

So, I improvised. And it was awesome. (I should say "we" because it was a team effort between me, "The Lady" and "The Guy") here is what we did:

Grocery List:
3 small/medium ears of corn
8 large spears of asparagus
I small to medium scallion
Fresh basil
White wine vinegar (just in case your pantry doesn't have it)

Shuck the corn and trim the asparagus (break the stems where they naturally want to)
Drizzle with olive oil, lightly salt and pepper.

GRILL - The Guy is a grill master, he cooks veggies quickly over relatively high heat (charcoal) until very slightly charred and perfectly al dente.

Cool the veggies - cut the corn off the cob when it's cool enough to handle (don't cut too close to the cob, it gets starchy).  Cut the asparagus into inch long pieces (I cut them on a bias) and put in the fridge.

Finely chop the shallot and the basil (I used about 2 tbsp chopped) Put in a bowl with a tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Mix and put in the fridge.

Combine the "dressing" with the veggies then salt and pepper to taste. Sounds so easy, but the fresh ingredients make it a perfect summer side dish. I'm sure you could sub out basil for lots of other favorite herbs, but it was perfect in my book.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment