Monday, December 17, 2012

Guest Post (FoodFiend): Villa-O - as in OMG that was Fantastic!

I am never so pleased as when I happen upon something that is wonderful and unexpected. Especially when that something involves wine, lobster, and discounts.

Some months ago, I bought a Travelzoo voucher to Villa-O, an Italian restaurant that seemed upon vague inquiry to be located somewhere in Uptown Dallas. I almost didn't buy it.  But it was $59 for two entrees, an appetizer, AND a bottle of wine, so I went back and bought it. I figured if it was cheap wine I could spend a few extra bucks and upgrade.

Of course, being who I am, I almost let the voucher expire. But I caught myself in time, so BP and I fought the holiday shopping traffic and headed down there Saturday night.

We had a fairly early reservation, 6:30, and only a few parties were already seated. We got a fabulous table in the corner where I could watch all the goings-on in the restaurant, and I had a view of the kitchen, but wasn't so close that I felt the heat of the fires and heard other people's dinner sizzling. They had a good mix of music playing - jazz fusion is perhaps a good description - to the point where we wanted to ask where they got their soundtrack. The best part about it was that we could hear it, but we could also still hear each other.


There were more parties seated to the left of the photo, I promise.

The restaurant's advertising describes it as original, organic, and oceanic. They emphasize the use of free-range ingredients and make everything they can from scratch, in-house. As for the oceanic, the decor has a bit of a nautical bent, but we also discovered that Villa-O can rock the seafood.

I was quite impressed with the wine list, and if you know me, you know that's an accomplishment when it comes to a restaurant that regular people can afford. I was also impressed with our waitress Heather's knowledge of the wine list. Upon finding I preferred reds (BP wisely declined to comment much at this juncture), she made several reasonably priced suggestions. I went with Zenato Valpolicella Classico - it was described as black cherry and currant with hints of spice and chocolate, and if a wine is called spicy, I usually like it. I am on a longstanding zinfandel kick, and this was less bold and robust than zinfandel. Heather said she usually recommends this if someone wants an alternative to malbec. I thought it had a better mouth feel than many malbecs, and was a bit lighter. Anyway, we liked it!

My one, and only one, disappointment with the place was that they didn't create a little puddle of olive oil and pepper for bread-dipping. But I took care of that, since fortunately the appropriate condiments were on the table. The bread was good, if less than hot, and it cried out for olive oil. I happily obliged.

For our appetizer, we chose the Crispy Calamari. I thought we were being boring. BP lamented that we hadn't noticed the bruschetta on the menu before we chose the calamari. But oh, my heavens, that calamari was to die for. We could have gotten spoons and just eaten bowls of it. It came over a marinara sauce that was a bit spicy but not overwhelming, and with these fantastic red and green Italian cherry peppers! I have never had anything like it. Again, the peppers were just slightly on the spicy side, but the bit of heat was just the right partner for perfectly cooked squid that was not the least bit rubbery as fried calamari can sometimes be. At that point, we knew we'd hit the jackpot.

OK, it was also at about that time that BP decided he was going to serenade me along with the music, which may or may not have been "The Way You Look Tonight." He was being smooshy, but the atmosphere was favorable. And I digress.

I ordered the Papardelle all'Aragosta, one of Heather's suggestions, and because I immediately salivate at the thought of lobster and white wine sauce. For some reason the "papardelle" part did not quite register in my head, because oddly I was expecting something like linguine rather than the large, flat pastas. I guess I have had too many frutti del mare entrees that typically come with spaghetti. But no, here I was with half-lasagna noodles, obviously handmade, and - wait for it - an entire lobster tail in the shell!!! I think my jaw hit the table. Before Heather deconstructed it for me, I snapped a photo. Yeah, I'm THAT girl in restaurants.


It was huge. I do believe I swooned.

BP got the Fennel-Crusted Scallops over arugula with a sweet basil vinaigrette, despite his claims to dislike basil. But in the end, there was nary a scallop crumb left, so I think he got over it.


He gave me a bite or two. Okay, three. Holy mollusks, Batman, they were good! I don't think I have ever tasted a better-cooked scallop (sorry, GrandCruMan). The breading was crunchy but not too thick. And the sweet basil vinaigrette was the perfect accompaniment. Come to think of it, my bread from earlier might have liked it, too.

But now, back to our previously scheduled lobster.

It was sweet lobster yumminess, and it seemed to go on, and on, and on. I savored it. Being in a rather interesting marinara sauce, it wasn't overly buttery like lobster often is. The sauce had an ever-so-slightly sweet taste that I was frustrated not to be able to identify, but I suspect perhaps fennel. Whatever it was, it was darn good.

Heather offered dessert, bless her heart, but we were too stuffed with seafood. We agreed that we will have to come back, since I am always on board with chocolate cake and BP is on a quest to find the best tiramisu ever. Both are on Villa-O's menu.

I think next time we will have calamari, wine, and dessert. And the time after that, I have to try some different pastas. And the time after that...

Thank you Travelzoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment