For Christmas, I attempted my first trifle -- the Caramel-Pear-Cheesecake Trifle recipe in Food and Wine Magazine's December 2012 issue (p.146). We had to buy a trifle dish (this one is from Crate & Barrel), and the dessert turned out quite tasty.
- Use 8 pears instead of 5. I didn't have enough pears!
- Definitely strain the pears after cooking.
- Either buy salted caramel sauce or find a different recipe than the one they provided which was a Vanilla Bean and Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce. For me, I cooked it for 8 minutes, and it still didn't develop a deep-amber caramel. I would use the caramel recipe (step 1) from here.
- Before serving, sprinkle some crushed Heath Bar or toffee.
- When serving, garnish each guest's portion with a whole gingersnap cookie.