Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Recipe: Caramel-Pear-Cheesecake Trifle



For Christmas, I attempted my first trifle -- the Caramel-Pear-Cheesecake Trifle recipe in Food and Wine Magazine's December 2012 issue (p.146).  We had to buy a trifle dish (this one is from Crate & Barrel), and the dessert turned out quite tasty.

Tips:
  • Use 8 pears instead of 5.  I didn't have enough pears!
  • Definitely strain the pears after cooking.
  • Either buy salted caramel sauce or find a different recipe than the one they provided which was a Vanilla Bean and Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce.  For me, I cooked it for 8 minutes, and it still didn't develop a deep-amber caramel.  I would use the caramel recipe (step 1) from here.
  • Before serving, sprinkle some crushed Heath Bar or toffee. 
  • When serving, garnish each guest's portion with a whole gingersnap cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment