Sunday, April 26, 2015

Recipe: Dirt Bombs

Dirt Bombs
Bon Appetit Magazine, May 2014, p. 20
4 stars

This recipe was in the 'r.s.v.p.' section of Bon Appetit where readers request their favorite restaurant recipes.  This one is from Bantam Bread Bakery in Bantam, CT and is described as a 'cinnamon-sugar doughnut in muffin form.'

I had to try making these.

I read the reviews, and they were mixed so I wasn't sure how these were going to turn out.  They turned out great; people at work asked for the recipe!  What I really like about it is the density of the cake -- it's like a cake doughnut.

Tips:
  • One change I made to the recipe based on the reviews I read:  Add at least a teaspoon of vanilla to the batter.
  • Dipping the tops of the muffins in melted butter and then cinnamon sugar didn't work well for me.  Instead, I brushed the tops with the butter and then sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar.
  • They're best when served warm so reheat them and serve with coffee -- yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment