Saturday, April 26, 2014

Recipe: Triple-Layer Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


I love carrot cake.  And the recipe from Bon Appetit Magazine (from their Oct 1994 issue) that I wrote about last year (see below) is just, well, amazing.  Worth every bite, every calorie.

A few additional tips and learnings from this time. . .

  • I was a little lazy and decided to make 2 layers instead of 3.  Don't do that with this recipe.  The cake in the middle sank in both pans, so that it was a bit concave, and we had to do cake surgery to make each layer flat in order to layer the cake.
  • We made candied pecan pieces to sprinkle on top which added nice flavor/crunch.
  • Like the dabs of cream cheese frosting that blog contributor (or shall I say non-contributor) the grandcruman added?
  • Next time I'm going to try to decrease the oil from 1 1/2 cup to 1 1/4.  The cake is plenty moist, so I bet we can cut it down.



Original Post:  6/19/13

I made the best carrot cake I have ever tasted (almost as good as Truluck's carrot cake) this past weekend for Father's Day.  OMG.

The Triple-Layer Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is from Bon Appetit Magazine from October 1994.  I found this recipe while searching on epicurious.com -- I was looking for an amazing carrot cake recipe -- and saw that it had 696 reviews and was rated 4 forks, which is the highest rating, however was a little skeptical because the recipe looked too easy and uses really basic ingredients.

Wow, there's a reason that it has a 4 fork rating.  It is absolutely delicious, and so if you are a carrot cake lover, you must try out this recipe.  The flavor and texture are perfect.  Most carrot cakes I've tasted are too light & airy and don't have enough 'stuff' (e.g. carrots) in them.

To make the cake even more decadent like the one at Truluck's, next time I'm going to make a caramel sauce to drizzle on the top and add candied pecans on top.

Note:  I did make 1.5x the cream cheese frosting just to make sure there was enough to frost the cake!  I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment