Friday, March 2, 2012

Recipe: Chocolate-Stout Brownies

Guinness + Brownies = Chocolate-Stout Brownies

This past weekend, I made the Chocolate-Stout Brownies recipe in the February 2012 issue of Bon Appetit (p.45).  I think 'brownie' is a misnomer;  it should be called 'fudge.'  If you love chocolate, and I mean, LOVE chocolate, this recipe is for you.  Friends of ours warned us how dense, rich and thick the brownies were, and they were right.

Tips:
  • It took me less than half the time to reduce the stout from 1 cup to 1/2 cup
  • I would suggest lifting the brownie out of the pan (using the foil) and then pouring & spreading the glaze on top.
  • If you decide to refrigerate these, they will harden and be very difficult to cut (note: a whole cup of butter is used in this recipe).
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Brownies-388657

I can't reiterate enough how rich and chocolatey these are.  I love chocolate but can only eat a little square at a time -- and have to drink a glass of milk with this to tone it down for me.  My husband, on the other hand, thinks this is the best brownie ever.  (He is one that can eat a whole slice of Breadwinners' Chocolate Ecstasy Torte in one sitting.)

I think I may try to make this Chocolate Stout Cake recipe soon because I'd prefer something a tad bit lighter:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105

No comments:

Post a Comment