Shanghai Noodles with Golden Garlic and Soft Tofu
Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges (cookbook), p.235
After being so impressed with Jean-Georges' restaurant in Deer Valley, I checked out his cookbook from the library to test out some recipes. (This was my first time borrowing a cookbook from the library which is such a great idea! Got the idea from reading a review on Amazon.com. I hate buying cookbooks only to test out recipes and be disappointed.)
So. . . we didn't make this exactly per the recipe. Changed it up a bit, but it turned out delicious! With all the changes we made to the recipe, I should make this as-is next time.
HUGE learning for me: Steeping the mint and basil and adding chicken broth to it made an incredibly flavorful base.
Changes we made to the recipe:
- Sauteed some ground beef with onion and garlic and added it when mixing the final dish.
- Added green beans
- Added shitake mushrooms
- Did NOT use 1 cup of garlic -- used 4 cloves instead
- Did NOT use 1/4 cup of serrano chiles -- sliced up 2 instead
- Couldn't get fresh Shanghai noodles so used some other similar Asian noodles we had
- Couldn't find pea shoots so left that out