Butternut Squash and Farro Salad
Us Weekly Magazine, Oct 19, 2015, p. 51
Talk about a healthy, hearty winter salad that's so easy to make! I saw this recipe in US Weekly magazine of all places -- it's a recipe from Katie Lee, the co-host of The Kitchen on the Food Network.
Just 13 ingredients: butternut squash, shallots, raisins, farro, smoked Gouda, walnuts, arugula, grainy mustard, extra-virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, ground cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
Well, 14 ingredients because we added bacon. Bacon makes everything better!
In short since I can't find a link to the recipe online:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into 1/2-inch chunks and slice 4 large shallots -- place them on the lined baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast until squash is soft and shallots begin to brown (about 25-30 min)
- Pour 4 tbsp sherry vinegar over 1 cup of raisins. Soak for 15 min then drain the vinegar into a small bowl; place raisins in another bowl.
- For the dressing: Whisk 2 tsp whole grain mustard into the sherry vinegar from the step above; add 6 tbsp oil, season to taste with ground cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Toss 2 cups of cooked farro, the butternut squash, shallots, raisins, 6 oz diced smoked Gouda and 1 cup of walnut halves and toss with the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss in arugula.