Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Recipe: Three-Cheese Mushroom and Spinach Calzone

Massive calzone
Again, I was looking for a quick recipe for dinner this evening that used ingredients we already had in the house.  I found this recipe (4 forks on epicurious.com) for a Three-Cheese Mushroom and Spinach Calzone.  It was good, but not 4 forks-worthy with the recipe written as-is.

Here are my tips:
  • Strain the mushroom and spinach mix.  I'm shocked the recipe didn't say to do this.  There was so much water from the spinach, the calzone would've have been soggy had I not strained it.  I think I strained out a half cup of water!
  • Instead of just pressing the garlic, mince the garlic so someone doesn't bite into one of the 2 garlic cloves and to add a stronger garlic flavor.
  • Spread some cornmeal on the parchment paper under the calzone.
  • I added some cooked spicy Italian sausage.
  • I was afraid to overfill the calzone so I had some leftover filling.  Overfilling it was not a problem, so next time I'm going to fill it to the max.
  • The recipe calls for making one massive calzone, but next time, I'm going to make 4 smaller ones.
  • Prepare a marinara sauce on the side.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Three-Cheese-Mushroom-and-Spinach-Calzone-359251

No comments:

Post a Comment