Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Recipe: Ice Cream Cake



I made an ice cream "cake" for Father's Day ~ didn't really use a recipe except for the crust.

The crust recipe is from epicurious.com:

Crust Ingredients
21 chocolate sandwich cookies (I used mint Oreos)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature

Crust Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Finely grind cookies in processor. Add butter and process until mixture is evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and up sides of prepared pan to form thin crust. Bake crust 5 minutes. Transfer crust to rack and cool completely.

After the crust cooled completely, I took Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream that had softened, swirled in some Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream and then topped it with more vanilla ice cream.  After freezing the ice cream again, I topped it with mint chocolate ganache, quickly sprinkled it with chocolate chips and then froze it again.  The ganache was made by melting a bag of milk chocolate chips over a double broiler, adding half and half and a splash of creme de menthe. 
 
I think next time, I'm going to add a cake component so that it's not just solid ice cream.
 
Note to Food Fiend:  Perhaps you should make this for Steve -- I think he liked the dessert a lot!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Indeed. I think he was trying very hard to be polite and not lick the plate. FoodFiend, in the meantime, was mourning her lactose intolerance that only allowed her to have two bites.

    For the record, FoodFiend also made a key lime pie with a recipe mercilessly smurfed from the Pioneer Woman (www.thepioneerwoman.com) who I worship with all my cooking heart. I want to be her when I grow up. OK, no, I want to be the healthy-cooking-but-still-tastes-fantastic version of her.

    ReplyDelete