Sunday, May 13, 2012

Recipe: The Ultimate Sticky Buns

Bon Appetit- April 2012 issue

How mine turned out

This weekend, I attempted to make the mouth-watering Ultimate Sticky Buns that are on the cover of Bon Appetit magazine's April 2012 issue.  It was a daunting recipe, requiring many steps and lots of time.  (If you try this recipe, make the dough the night before.  Altogether, including the time needed to allow the dough to rise, requires about 4 hours.) 

They turned out quite lovely and delicious but not as scrumptious as I had hoped.  Here are some tips:
  • The milk gets hot FAST, so make sure you don't overheat it.  I overheated mine and should have started over because I think I killed the yeast in the process.  The buns did rise in the oven, though.
  • I made a half-batch but used the same sized pan.  However, because there was space in between the buns, they cooked more quickly.  I didn't check on them early enough and slightly overcooked them.  (Note:  People who reviewed the recipe on epicurious.com said that the pan size was too small ~ for a full batch; however, my America's Test Kitchen-watching-husband explained that it's necessary to have the buns touching and as close to each other as possible so that there isn't air between them and they don't cook so fast.)
  • The buns need a white icing on them to make them 100% scrumptious.
I'll definitely try making these again -- next time, a full batch!



No comments:

Post a Comment