Sunday, May 27, 2012

Recipe: S'mores Coffee and Fudge Ice Cream Cake


We made the S'mores Coffee and Fudge Ice Cream Cake (Bon Appetit, Jan 2000 issue - 4 forks on epicurious.com) for a Memorial Day Weekend get together.  It turned out great!

I'd highly recommend making this dessert but with the following modifications:
  • Almonds are really expensive these days, but hazelnuts were half the price, so I used hazelnuts in the crust instead.  I think the hazelnuts went very well with the coffee ice cream.
  • Instead of purchasing fudge sauce, I'm going to try melting my own chocolate or making a ganache for the layers next time.
  • The recipe calls for each ice cream and fudge layer to be layered at the same time; however, the hot fudge began to swirl in with the ice cream (melting the ice cream) so there wasn't a nice, distinct layer of chocolate.  So, I'd recommend layering the ice cream -> freezing the cake -> layering the fudge/chocolate -> freezing the cake -> and so on.
  • Note:  Because we ate the cake the same day I made it, I didn't freeze it overnight as specified in the recipe.  I was afraid that broiling the marshmallows on the cake would turn the cake into a milkshake so we used a kitchen torch on the marshmallows instead. 
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smores-Coffee-and-Fudge-Ice-Cream-Cake-102836

No comments:

Post a Comment