Toasted Orecchiette with Veal Meatballs
Bon Appetit Magazine, Jan 2016, p. 11
This recipe would be GREAT with some changes.
- Definitely need to cook the bacon first to render off the fat!
- The meatballs were not done after 20 min of cooking in the broth. We ended up sauteing them in a pan.
- Double the amount of kale next time.
- There wasn't a need to fry the orecchiette -- I mean, it might have been good, but it wasn't necessary (saved the calories here).
- Used ground beef instead of ground veal.
- Used baby bellas instad of maitake mushrooms.
- The recipe called for 8 garlic cloves. We used 6 (afraid that it would be too garlicky which it wasn't), so will use all 8 next time.
Ingredients: smoked bacon, ground veal, ground pork, garlic cloves, onion, breadcrumbs, milk, broth, orecchiette, olive oil, maitake mushrooms, kale, Parmesan, ground coriander, red pepper flakes, allspice, hot smoked Spanish paprika, kosher salt, black pepper