Napa cabbage and scallions in our fridge. What to make, what to make to use up these ingredients?
I found this recipe Shanghai Stir-Fried Pork with Cabbage that I had torn out of Food and Wine Magazine back in Jan 2012 (p.69). I had actually thought about tossing out the recipe a while back (the ingredient list doesn't make it sound like it would be very flavorful), but I'm glad I kept it.
It's a simple recipe from Cecilia Chang -- ingredients include boneless pork loin, dried shitake mushrooms, cornstarch, dry sherry, soy sauce, white pepper, peanut oil, napa cabbage, Chinese chile sauce and rice. That's it!
It ended up being a simple and easy stir fry with pretty good flavor.
A few things we changed and would do differently next time:
- Actually use dried shitake mushrooms (we used fresh ones, and the shitake flavor didn't come through strong enough for us)
- Use sesame oil instead of peanut oil
- Cook the pork until it's done instead of using the cook times in the recipe
- Add minced ginger, garlic and scallions (we added ginger and scallions)
- Add remaining cabbage at the very very end so that it stays crisp