Food & Wine Magazine's March 2013 issue is full of "all-time greatest recipes from legendary cooks." This past weekend, I made the Apple Pie Bars recipe that's on p.78 -- named Best Apple Dessert. The photo in the magazine looks amazing. The dessert is not so amazing.
Here are the issues with the recipe:
- There isn't enough apple filling. I would've liked double the amount called for in the recipe.
- The apples do not take 20 minutes to cook/soften.
- There's way too much topping. I would've cut it by a third.
- There wasn't enough sugar in the topping.
- The dessert does not need to be baked for an hour. Had I baked it the full hour, it would have completely burned!
- The crust needs to be par-baked, not fully baked -- it got a little too crispy and overbaked.
- In step 4, it doesn't say what to set the oven to. I assumed 375 degrees as is mentioned in step 1 for the crust. Perhaps that was the issue with the baking time?