Sunday, October 14, 2012

Happy National Dessert Day!



What did you have for dessert today to celebrate National Dessert Day?

I made a Rich Chocolate Cake with Salty Dulce de Leche & Hazelnut Brittle dessert last night (which tasted even better today).

One of my friends exclaimed that it was the best chocolate cake she had ever tasted.  That was quite the compliment and what I hoped would be said based on the reviews and cake description. 

Here's part of the recipe description:  ". . . what could be considered the moistest, most delicious cake on the planet (I double-dare you to find a better one). The combination has a perfect salty-sweet thing happening that is like a highly addictive sensory overload. I promise, it will have you coming back for more."

It is not the most chocolatey caken I've had (again, the reviews prepared me for this), but the density of the batter along with the dulce de leche drizzled on top and the crunch from the brittle made it to be one of the best chocolate cakes I've baked.

Next time. . .
  • I'm going to find a recipe for hazelnut brittle.  I could only find peanut brittle, and I know I'd like the hazelnut version a lot better.
  • I'll take more time to break up the brittle more evenly so there aren't large chunks. 
  • Also, the cake (as noted in the reviews on epicurious.com) took about 15 minutes longer to bake than noted in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment